Healthy Relationships should make you feel good about yourself and your partner.
Every relationship goes through difficult patches. Having disagreements and differences of opinion are quite normal. However, there are some things everyone deserves from a relationship and these things are what make the relationship healthy and more likely to last:
- Respect - Understanding that people should feel free to be themselves, having their views listened to, feeling valued and to also give respect back.
- Equality - being part of decision making and being treated fairly.
- Compassion - being cared for and treated with kindness.
- Trust - being believed and able to do the things you want to do, trusting each other and feeling good about yourself.
- Consensual - not being pressured into doing things you don't want to do, feeling comfortable in saying 'No'. If you do not feel that you are listened to, valued or treated with kindness, the relationship might not be right for you.